I like to make Pavlova (created for the Russian ballerina on her visit to New Zealand), when I make key lime pie because I have 4 egg whites left over from that recipe (why waste them?)
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 10 servings
- 4 egg whites
- 1¼ cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pint heavy cream
- whatever seasonal fruit is available (strawberries, peaches, raspberries, blueberries)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a pie plate to draw a 9-inch circle on the parchment paper or form individual pavlovas with spoon
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually add sugr a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until thick and glossy. Gently fold in vanilla extract, lemon juice, and cornstarch.
- Spoon mixture inside the circle drawn on the parchment paper. Working from the center, spread mixture toward the outside edge, building edge slightly. This should leave a slight depression in the center.
- Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form; set aside. Remove the paper, and place meringue on a flat serving plate. Fill the center of the meringue with whipped cream, and top with seasonal jam and/or fruit.