Chestnut, Onion and Cranberry stuffing
I prepare the stuffing in a baking dish and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth if I am cooking for vegetarians. I use home grown chestnuts that I have prepared and frozen.
Author: JW Robitaille
Recipe type: Holidays
Serves: 10 servings
- 1 package Pepridge Farm Stuffing mix wit herbs
- 1 large onions, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- ¾ pound vacuum-packed or canned whole chestnuts or fresh frozen
- 3½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup packed fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves
- • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- • ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- • Garnish if desired: chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Salute onions and celery over medium heat until soft. Place cranberries in a bowl with enough water to cover and microwave for 3 minutes to plump. Coarsely chop chestnuts. If using canned, cook in broth for 15 minutes. Chop parsley. In a large bowl toss together bread, onions, chestnuts, cranberries, and boiling broth, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste and cool completely. Stuffing may be made up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring stuffing to room temperature and bake or microwave until warm.